How do I appeal Instagram’s content decision to the Oversight Board?
Not all content decisions are eligible for appeal to the Oversight Board. If an Instagram content decision is eligible for review by the Oversight Board, you'll see an Oversight Board Reference ID within your Support Requests.
To appeal to the Oversight Board on the Instagram app for Android and iPhone:
- Tap or your profile picture in the bottom right to go to your profile.
- Tap in the top right.
- Tap Settings, then tap Help.
- Tap Support Requests, then tap Violations.
- Open the update we sent you about our decision. You can also tap the violation notification if it appears in .
- Tap on your Oversight Board Reference ID to copy it. This reference ID begins with IG, followed by 8 numbers and letters.
- Follow the on-screen instructions which will take you to the Oversight Board website to complete your appeal. On the Oversight Board website, you’ll see options to log in with a Facebook or Instagram account. Log in with the account your Reference ID was issued to.
- Once logged in to the Oversight Board website, you’ll be asked to provide responses to a few questions before completing the appeal. Your responses provide information about your post and help the Board understand why you think Instagram made the wrong decision.
Once you submit the appeal, the Oversight Board will decide whether or not to review it. The board only selects a certain number of eligible appeals to review, so they may not choose yours.
At any point following the submission of your appeal, you’ll be able to check the appeal status by logging on to the Oversight Board’s website using your reference ID. Keep in mind that there is a time limit on appealing decisions to the Oversight Board. Once the window to appeal a decision has expired, you will no longer be able to submit it.